The city - Marsala
"There to the west, where it ends
Sicily, on a promontory above the
sea and wind, is the city that the Phoenicians called Lilybeum (which
looks to Libya) and that the Arabs
wanted to rename Marsa Ali (Port
Center around a small but full of
art and history, it opens a vast territory
that includes countless hamlets, the so-called districts. The land around here, away from the hustle and bustle, it produces a wine with a long history and glorious, with a taste and an unmistakable smell: Marsala.
The promenade, very nice for the many palms that are followed by either side will take you
directly to the beach area where alternating beaches and bathing establishments.
There, on hot summer days when the sun does not fail to feel his strong presence, will open the eyes a clear blue sea and inviting.
On the other side, towards Trapani, we expect instead a landscape even more special: the Lagoon and the Lagoon Mothia with the other small islands that are part of Nature Reserve and a little farther on, the Saline with tanks to collect salt and windmills.
Cicero, who served as Quaestor in Marsala from 75 to 73 BC, called
the city of Lilybeum (name of the Roman period)
"Pulcherrima, sed ventosa" ("Beautiful but windy")
Marsala is developed around the two roads of the original Phoenician and Roman, thistle and decumanus (now Via XI Maggio, otherwise known as the "Cassero"), which cross the city center and
connecting the four ancient entrances, two of which still exist: Porta Nuova, was rebuilt in 700, and Porta Garibaldi, the former Sea Gate, the 11 May 1860 saw the passage of a
thousand that came in Marsala.
This square, bounded by walls of ancient times which have only two bastions, one of which is housed in the Villa Comunale Cavallotti ago by Belvès towards stupene Egadi, and a rampart encloses the old town, with the sixteenth Spanish Quarter, which now houses the offices of the Municipality.
already Piazza della Loggia
Already Piazza della Loggia, Piazza Umberto I and already today the Republic Square.
The lounge of the city, overlooking the Chiesa Madre (Cathedral Church), the Chiesa di San Giuseppe and d Palazzo VII Aprile 1860.
The building that dates back to the sixteenth century to 1576 when they were built on the ground floor rooms for meetings of the jurors and the Senate. The porch also called Loggia dei Pisani, was used for public exchange market.
During the Bourbon rule, the palace was used as the venue for the meetings of Decurionate, representatives elected by the people.
It was here that the evening of 11 May 1860 Francesco Crispi declared lapsed and the Bourbon dynasty Garibaldi was appointed dictator of Sicily.
The Palazzo VII Aprile today is the venue of the City Council
The Piazza Loggia quadrangular is crossed along a side street from Via XI Maggio (date of disembarkation of the Thousand) better known as the 'Cassero' (the deck). The Cassero keep is a road paved with white marble in which nationals of Marsala like to walk (in dialetetto 'Farisi a Cassarate'), is also the way of clothing stores, souvenir and two libraries in the center.
The Spanish Quarter, besides housing the municipal offices in a picturesque corner lot, home to the fish market, where the small navy Marsala trading day as caught.
The old town retains many of the city's history, many of which are collected and represented in the Regional Archaeological Museum of "Baglio Anselmi"(Museo Archeologico Nave Punica).
Here you can admire the Punic Ship and numerous exhibits of the history of Lilybeum, as the city 'was known since the Punic period.
Also on the promenade, there entry Insula archaeological Cape Boeo where you can visit the ruins and mosaics of what was a magnificent Roman villa (Museo Archeologico Villa Romana).
The buildings and monuments of interest are:
The Convent of Mount Caramel (Convento del Carmine), home painting exhibitions, the Monumental Complex S. Peter (Complesso Monumentale di San Pietro) in which is also the Civic Museum with the oldest section, the Risorgimento, and folk traditions, the Mother Church (Chiesa Madre) and the adjacent Museum of the sixteenth century Flemish tapestries (Museo degli Arazzi Fiamminghi).